The Bermuda Society of Arts seeks “to be a primary resource for contemporary visual art in Bermuda and become recognized as a centre for all types of art.” It presents temporary exhibitions of work by local artists and college students. Expatriate and foreign artists are also shown.
Founded in 1952, the Bermuda Society of Arts is the oledest established art organization in Bermuda. It is a non-profit organization with some 400 members.
Located in the Hamilton City Hall since 1961, the Bermuda Society of Arts is on the upper floor across from the Bermuda National Gallery. Its exhibition space was originally one very large room but in 1967, it was subdivided to form the Edinburgh Gallery, which was opened by Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. In 1961, the main exhibit area was renamed the Onions Gallery after the architect who designed the City Hall, Wil Onions. That space was further subdivided in 2007, to form two smaller galleries. As a result, the Bermuda Society of Arts now has four exhibit areas. However, movable rolling walls allow the Society to adjust the size of the various galleries.
The exhibitions change every few weeks. They are of contemporary art but not of any one style or medium. Rather, they reflect the diversity of the artists in Bermuda.
In addition to the exhibitions, the Bermuda Society of Art conducts classes and workshops.
For information about visiting, see the Bermuda Society of Arts website.
For more places to see art
See our Places to See Art index
For information about traveling in Bermuda
See our Bermuda home page
Places to see art - - Bermuda - - Bermuda Society of Arts